Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Snob? Moi?

So I've been called a music snob from time to time due to my taste, which has led me to look up the word 'snob' on the ever reliable Wikipedia (If its on Wikipedia then it must be true, right?).

"A snob, guilty of snobbery, is someone who adopts the worldview that some people are inherently inferior to him/her for any one of a variety of reasons including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ancestry, etc."

In that extremely accurate excerpt i don't spy the word 'music' anywhere? Do you?

Its not as if i when i find a band or an artist that i don't like i look down upon my peers and say 'for liking this ear pollution you must feel the wrath of the music gods' and point my fore finger at them is it?
see figure on left.

I simply say: 'No, they are shit, that's why i don't like them.' And to be honest, I'm usually right. Oh wait, does that make me a snob?

Any of my friends will tell you that i am neither vastly intellectual, extremely wealthy, or highly educated, so going by the above explanation it would mean i am not a snob. (this may be subject to change after further investigation into my ancestry).

I think when people call me a music snob, they are simply complimenting me on my eclectic and superior taste in music to theirs, which i will gladly accept, so thanks!

Starting a music blog about your likes/dislikes would be the perfect way to prove your snobbery, right?

Wrong! This is the perfect way for me to prove having good taste in music and disliking others is my opinion and nothing else.

So from here on out, i'll be posting non-snobby (wiki that one) and extremely intuitive ditties about whats spinning in my cd player, crashing on my ipod and streaming through the interweb.

So i'll leave you with something that i found. Which i think perfectly sums up a lot of what I've just penned.

http://www.myspace.com/thesnobsrock


BAM

No comments: